Notebook PEA - version log and old versions
Test Version 0.1-testThe first test version was released in December 2015.
Beta Version 0.1-beta
- It is easier to handle multiple texts with one notebook PEA. The available text files are displayed with their location and you can choose one.
- It is easier to initialize a new text file. When you start the PEA, a menu appears and you can simply create a new encrypted text file with it's own password.
- The password is tested before the integrity of the text is checked. An authentication failure can thus be distinguished from a wrong password. This is important because for example, also disk errors do result in a failed authentication.
- Extra: A virtual keyboard to prevent key loggers.
- Import of text and RTF files.
- Minor changes, mainly for better usability.
Version 0.1 (stable)
- Usabilty of the virtual keyboard
- Catena-Dragonfly version v3.3 using a public input along with the Salt replaces version v3.2.
- HKDF replaces a simple hash function for key expansion and the initial hash.
- Better language support, usability and some code cleanup.
- Improvement of the internal proactive password-strenght meter: Display of the strength while typing a new password, small list of most common passwords, consideration of prefixes, suffixes and some leet transformations
- new GUI: Nimbus Look & Feel
- possibility to edit the file in which the paths of the encrypted files are stored
- button bar for some text formatting
- more formatting options (colors, text alignment)
- minor improvement in usability (positions of the windows and dialogs, help menu)
- fix of small errors (start script also works for Linux Mint, display password-strength, even when using the character tables ...)
- Several text files can now be managed simultaneously, without restarting the program or re-entering the password.
- Small changes in appearance.
- A wait cursor indicates that the program is working.
- fix of small errors (position of dialogs, space deleted in path file, width of password generator...)
- Java default accessibility support for custom components, accessible descriptions for images and icons (accessibility is still incomplete)
- Managing several encrypted files and folders (tree view...)
- Short cuts for character tables and virtual keyboard
- Accessibility for visually impaired: set font size for session
- start helper file for UNIX: find a appropriate Java version (will work for future versions).
- Small GUI modifications: Different background colors encrypted and plain text, padlock symbol for encrypted status
- Small usability improvements: File chooser starts at last selected folder, error messages if import of RTF/TXT failed, compatibility option for new files.
- Backward compatibility with 1.6 before update 10
- General settings for text area background, default font color, size and family, settings for color and font size of the PEA
- Remembers last size and location
- Accessibility: accessible description for all items and buttons if there is no tool tip text (english only),
- Drag&Drop of files in the password dialog
- When the application was closed with quit item instead of close button, the keys in RAM were not cleared immediately (this is the first known non-critical security issue)
- Several click on OK button when decryption works, resulted in unexpected behavior
- cloud access for Nextcloud, Owncloud and other providers, that support WebDAV
- search function: searching for a word in the opened text
- look for program updates in the menu
- Same file name and content is now opened in one tab (and changes automatically saved in all)
- Bug fix: When only the format was changed but not the text, changes were not saved automatically
- Libraries for cloud support were replaced so that the program runs now with Java 8 up to Java 17 and probably further versions
- You can choose various algorithms: Catena or Argon2 as KDF, Threefish or AES-256 as cipher, Blake2b or SHA-3 as hash
- The GUI is more accessible: larger resizable buttons that better show focus, better keyboard accessibility
- Cloud performance: authorize only once to a provider
- Imported RFT files are checked for probably malicious code (object linking and embedding)
- Minor usability improvements: Simplified cloud provider login, checkbox to (de)select all files if many files are present, remove files from list by right click...
- Several minor bug fixes
Download old versions
All files are zip files.
Key derivation function is Catena-Dragonfly, cipher is Threefish-512, hash function is Blake2b.